Web Design with WordPress: Everything from Beginning to End
Web Design with WordPress: Everything from Beginning to End
- You will learn how to “spin up” new WordPress sites in under one minute
You will learn exactly how I build websites for my clients.
You will learn how to create websites, portfolios, and blogs with WordPress
- You will learn how to download, install and configure WordPress plugins
- You will learn to use Photoshop and more to create beautiful website graphics
- You will create a responsive website that looks good on any browser
- You should have a basic understanding of computers and software
- A modern browser like Chrome, Safari, or Firefox
- Internet access
- You do not need any coding experience or programming knowledge
- You can follow along with free themes, but I also show you how to use several premium themes – the typical cost is $60 per theme, if you choose to go that route
- We will work locally (no cost), but if you want to launch your site you will need to purchase a domain name and hosting
A Beginner’s Guide to WordPress!
The main goal of this course is to teach anyone, even a complete beginner, how to setup a complete WordPress website quickly and easily.
While other courses teach you all of the in-depth, complicated things about building websites in WordPress, this course focuses on only those things needed to get your website up and running as efficiently as possible.
You do not need to wade through hours and hours of lectures to create a stunning website. WordPress is wonderful because once you have your site up, you can refine it over time as you are able. If you’re like most designers or freelancers or entrepreneurs, chances are good you don’t want to spend weeks perfecting your website – you want something up ASAP! To help you reach that goal as quickly as possible, I move quickly through the content to help get you up and running fast – so come ready to rapidly dive into the meat of this course!
With an emphasis on design elements, I will walk you through everything you need to start building a WordPress website, including how to:
- “Spin up” new WordPress sites in under one minute
- Install WordPress on your local computer (Windows or Mac) so you can learn without paying for a domain and web hosting.
- Download, install and configure WordPress plugins
- Optimize your website for search engines
- Backup, export and move your website to a different domain and/or hosting
- Create pages and posts, and how to understand the difference between the two
- Create custom menus and navigation systems that both visitors and search engines will find useful
- Protect your WordPress website from hackers and spammers
- Back up your WordPress website in case of emergency.
- Set up server and hosting environments in the most economical and secure way
- Build and edit websites within staging and development environments
- Migrate and transfer WordPress websites from staging to live and vice-versa
- Use some of the most popular and versatile WordPress Themes available
- Discover multiple ways to work with various themes and frameworks
And if there is anything you don’t learn from the course and want to learn, you can always ask me for help, or reach out to your peers in our private Facebook community!
***As with all my courses, software and online tools are always changing and evolving, so if you think of something that could be added to the course to add value, let me know!
The end goal is for you to learn how to build a functional, beautiful, responsive website with WordPress. It’s that simple. By combining both backend setup lectures with design-specific lectures, you will get a broad, well-rounded look at how to create a website you can be proud of, without taking months to complete it.
The processes shown in this course are the exact same ones I have used in my design agency for years. This is exactly how I build websites for my clients.
What makes this course different from other courses is that I am approaching it from two perspectives:
- my real-world understanding of how to build websites for actual clients
- my understanding of graphic design and how that directly relates to website design best practices
I have over a decade of experience owning my own graphic design and website development agency, and I am so excited for the chance to pass the knowledge and tricks I have learned on to you!
With WordPress, you have options!
I will walk you through both free and paid themes, so that you can dive in at whatever investment level woks for you.
Most themes use a similar backend layout, so once you learn the basics in this course, you can apply that knowledge to other themes down the road. This gives you the ultimate creative freedom and ownership over how your website looks and functions – both now and on into the future.
Who is this WordPress course for?
This course is great for designers that want to learn how to build beautiful websites without the hassle of having to learn how to code. It is also great for entrepreneurs and freelancers that need a professional online presence but that also do not want to pay a lot of money to have someone else create it for them. It is also a great course for anyone that is curious about websites and graphic design, as the course serves as a great launch pad for wherever your creativity and passions can take you!
By the end of this course, you will have a beautifully designed website that you are proud of, and – if your goal is to start creating websites for others as a side gig or as a business – you will have learned some of the tricks and tools that I used to successfully build websites that clients pay very well for.
Derrick is very clear in his instructions. It actually takes me awhile to go through each lesson because they are so full of useful tidbits that I want to write down and save, from work flow to incredibly useful shortcuts. – Tricia Havas
Genuine guy. Clear and simple instruction. – Manesh Nesaratnam
Very engaging, exciting and the content is explained thoroughly without too much industry jargon. – Luke Houselander
Great way of teaching. Feels like a friend. – Ricky Rox
I really enjoyed learning with Derrick Mitchell and will be looking forward to learning other courses from him! – Yesha Bhavsar
Derrick is an expert who is very creative and has a wealth of experience… he does a great job of explaining more complex details to beginners like myself. – Ben Cotton
He is a very good teacher!! Encouraging and comprehensive. – Jhulan Devi Dasi
One of the best trainings I have had on Udemy. I learned so much. Thank you. – Daryl Graham
- Graphic designers looking to add web design and development to their skill set
- Entrepreneurs and freelancers looking to create their own online presence
- Anyone that wants to use WordPress and Photoshop (among other things) to create a beautiful, functional website quickly and efficiently
- Beginners of all ages and industry interests
Check other Udemy Courses: